Contact us Giving History & Profile
David McCartney w streetcar 1080x220 banner
Our History
Our History

Presbyterians trace their history to the 16th century and the Protestant Reformation. Our heritage, and much of what we believe, began with the French lawyer John Calvin (1509-1564), whose writings crystallized much of the Reformed thinking that came before him. Calvin did much of his writing from Geneva, Switzerland. From there, the Reformed movement spread to other parts of Europe and the British Isles. Many of the early Presbyterians in America came from England, Scotland and Ireland. The first American Presbytery was organized at Philadelphia in 1706. The first General Assembly was held in the same city in 1789. The first Assembly was convened by the Rev. John Witherspoon, the only minister to sign the Declaration of Independence.

First Presbyterian Church of Green Bay has had a mission from God on the near west side of Green Bay (formerly Fort Howard) for nearly 150 years. Some of the highlights of this long history are noted below.

Presbyterians trace their history to the 16th century and the Protestant Reformation. Our heritage, and much of what we believe, began with the French lawyer John Calvin (1509-1564), whose writings crystallized much of the Reformed thinking that came before him. Calvin did much of his writing from Geneva, Switzerland. From there, the Reformed movement spread to other parts of Europe and the British Isles. Many of the early Presbyterians in America came from England, Scotland and Ireland. The first American Presbytery was organized at Philadelphia in 1706. The first General Assembly was held in the same city in 1789. The first Assembly was convened by the Rev. John Witherspoon, the only minister to sign the Declaration of Independence.

First Presbyterian Church of Green Bay has had a mission from God on the near west side of Green Bay (formerly Fort Howard) for nearly 150 years. Some of the highlights of this long history are noted below.

FPC-s first church building 1876-opt

First Presbyterian Church of Fort Howard was officially organized on May 2, 1876. The first building was completed on July 22 at a cost of $2,500. It was located on Chestnut Street between Main and Hubbard. The church was dedicated on Christmas Eve 1876 by the first pastor, Rev. David Street.

Clara Austin 2.1

Clara Austin joined First Presbyterian Church in 1880 and was a member for more than fifty years. She served as a missionary to the early settlers of Wisconsin. She published an article in the March 1912 issue of the Home Mission Monthly, titled "Winning Wisconsin."

FPC-s brick building from David McCartney completed 1892-opt

On October 16, 1892, with Rev. J. F. Young as pastor, a second church building, fully equipped and including electric lights, was erected on our present site. The cost of this building, $7,000, was a gift from David McCartney, a local banker.

David McCartney portrait-opt

Mr. McCartney told the story of how he came to donate this building at the dedication, a story that was then printed in the Fort Howard newspaper. His bank had been robbed of a substantial sum. Rather than hiring detectives, McCartney put his trust in God.  While he was wintering in Thomasville, GA, he received word that most of the money had been recovered without cost to the bank. In gratitude to God, he resolved to do something for God and the church building was the result.

Church 1925

In 1924, under the leadership of Rev. E.H. Easely, the old building was razed and a new one erected. This structure was built at a cost of $50,000 and was dedicated on April 19, 1925.

Ann Bannan

In the previous year, Ann Bannan, a member of the church who had worked for many years for a local law firm, was called by the Board of Missions of the Presbyterian church to go to Point Barrow, the most northern point in Alaska. She had most recently been living in CA, but when her many years of service were ended in AL, she came back to Green Bay and lived here until her death. The Neville Museum now houses Ann's collection of Eskimo artifacts, carving, letters and photographs, including the one seen here. 

Church 1955

In 1955, the church building was remodeled and renovated, including the addition of an educational wing, at an approximate cost of $75,000. Improvements continued into the 1960s and included the addition of stained glass windows.

First Presbyterian Church of GB 2016 (4)-opt

In 1994-95, a second story was added to the educational wing. This is the facility that is the center of our mission to the community today. Our Building and Grounds Committee does a fantastic job of maintaining our building so that we may continue to worship and serve God in this near west side neighborhood!

David McCartney w streetcar 1080x220 banner