Our History


First Presbyterian Church has had a mission from God on the near west side of Green Bay (formerly Fort Howard) for nearly 150 years.  Some of the highlights of this long history are noted below.

First Presbyterian Church of Fort Howard was officially organized on May 2, 1876. The first building was completed on July 22 at a cost of $2,500. It was located on Chestnut Street between Main and Hubbard. The church was dedicated on Christmas Eve 1876 by the first pastor, Rev. David Street.

 

Church1

Clara Austin joined First Presbyterian Church in 1880 and was a member for more than fifty years. She served as a missionary to the early settlers of Wisconsin. She published an article in the March 1912 issue of the Home Mission Monthly, titled "Winning Wisconsin."  

 

Clara Austin 2.1

On October 16, 1892, with Rev. J. F. Young as pastor, a second church building, fully equipped and including electric lights, was erected on our present site.  The cost of this building, $7,000, was a gift from David McCartney, a local banker  Church2
Mr. McCartney told the story of how he came to donate this building at the dedication, a story that was then printed in the Fort Howard newspaper.  His bank had been robbed of a substantial sum.  Rather than hiring detectives, McCartney put his trust in God.  While he was wintering in Thomasville, GA, he received word that most of the money had been recovered without cost to the bank.  In gratitude to God, he resolved to do something for God and the church building was the result.  

 

 

 davidM_opt

 

 

 

In 1924, under the leadership of Rev. E.H. Easely, the old building was razed and a new one erected.  This structure was built at a cost of $50,000 and was dedicated on April 19, 1925.  Church3

 

In the previous year, Ann Bannan, a member of the church who had worked for many years for a local law firm, was called by the Board of Missions of the Presbyterian church to go to Point Barrow, the most northern point in Alaska.  She had most recently been living in CA, but when her many years of service were ended in AL, she came back to Green Bay and lived here until her death.  The Neville Museum now houses Ann's collection of Eskimo artifacts, carving, letters and photographs, including the one seen here.
 

 

 

Ann Bannan_opt

 

 

In 1955, the church building was remodeled and renovated, including the addition of an educational wing, at an approximate cost of $75,000.  Improvements continued into the 1960s and included the addition of stained glass windows.     

 

 Church4

 

 
In 1994-95, a second story was added to the educational wing.  This is the facility that is the center of our mission to the community today.  Our Building and Grounds Committee does a fantastic job of maintaining our building so that we may continue to worship and serve God in this near west side neighborhood!

 church_building_opt_opt

 

 

Home
Worship
Christian Education
Mission
Small Groups
News
Calendar
About Us